Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Our entrance to  Salvador brought some uncomfortable situations. So accustomed to the silence and peacefulness of the mountains we were not prepared for Salvador; which is a huge city! Driving through the old city, with the narrowest stress ever and the amount of people and cars, and up and down is not the way to enter the city! Soon we had hordes of "tourist agents" walking and basically throwing themselves at us offering anything and everything. We were only looking for parking. How naive! Even the policemen laugh at our enquire! A mistake then, inviting someone inside our car to guide us. A very nasty scenario, he asking for money, refusing to leave,  desperate attempt to take our mobile. Still shaking we managed to leave and found ourselves in La Barra, a promenade with lots of bars but quiet because it is weekday. And so, like magic, he appeared to restore our faith in people (people and their stories).
Day 2 was even scarier; when a street closed due to football and our friendly GPS took us all the way through the hills of the "community" (this is the preferred terms for "favelas"). Fair to say, we were never afraid of the people but more about the situation. Absolutely trapped on those streets, no room to go, can't go down (soooo steep!) By the time we managed to get out of the situation Hecti and I were so sweaty that we had a cold shower!

Two days in the city is just enough for us. Very nice bike ride and a walk to the lighthouse where all locals gather together on Sunday to watch and applaud the sunset ceremony. The old city is so pretty, with the colorful little buildings and the cobblestone floor. And the music, the dancing in every corner. My heart hurts of seeing so many buildings just in the outskirt of the old square that needs urgent repair, I think of Europe and how all the old cities are preserved. This little one is so special because of the culture and yet is mostly abandoned. We promised to come back to see our friends again but we need to breath! Off to the road and 100 km later (north) we found paradise.....(I know I always said that, but really  Guarajuba is paradise)
Condominium in Guarajuba
 If I always knew that my place is on the ocean, this trip have definitely confirmed that....walking on another paradise beach- palms, white thin sand, 27 degrees water temperature, no hurry, no hustle, no stress....I feel a different person, I am a very different person when I am in contact with the ocean. More attuned with myself, quieter, calmer... as Hecti said to me when I am in the beach I don't need anything else; don't feel I need to do something, be entertained... I only need the ocean and the sand. I said to Hecti that this place is one that I could see myself living for 4/5 months. The condominium are superb, the greenery, the bike lane and the culture. There are very few people now, which I love, but I am certain that it will take us only a few weeks to meet people, be friendly and enjoy a walk together...and because is in South America, our friends can come and stay with us :)
Praia do Farol da Barra, Salvador,  Bahia
From Guarajuba...we visit Praia do Forte as everybody told us that it was a great place. Well, it is a great place but not for us. Lots of upmarket shops, a real tourists place. Very nice for a day...we looked at each other and we both knew. We drove back all the way to Guarajuba to our safe heaven :)

No comments: