Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Poland
8-9 September

Our entrance to Poland was through Auschwitz we talked about going there since the beginning of our trip. We even said that it was only that place that we needed to go. It was as hard day as we thought. Gutted and heartbroken we spent the day there, but the impact of that visit is still present today (as I am writing this 3 days after that visit). 





Krakow restored my soul when we stopped to eat varenikes in a very homely restaurant. The look and smell of them took me back to my grandmother Rosa. It took almost 40 plus years to feel that taste again....Hecti saw my face as I was eating....it was so emotional! And all of the sudden I was back in her kitchen, looking at her cooking while my dad and I are "stealing" the varenikes stuffing from a bowl- that she had already prepared and put aside for us, but nonetheless she complains while we are eating.... There were so much to see and feel in this city, and the old town has an enormous and oh so classy piazza that looks like a page from an old fable book......the pity, once again, is the state of the rest of the city.

It was interesting that the people we chatted in both Czech and Poland did not have a good experience with the Russians occupation and the communist regime.
Model city built in Krakow during communist period


1 comment:

EDUARDO said...

Obviously this blog is bitter sweet as it could only be visiting Auschwitz. Terrible harrowing but some how a must. I cant help wonder if more people took the time to understand and learn the world and its conflicts could improve.
I discovered varenikes with my mother in law not grandmother (as they were not part of my culture growing up) and I too like to taste the filling claiming I was tasting it for salt! Ahhh food is so good for the soul especially if its shared!! xx