Monday, June 9, 2014


They are “social mediators”. We found them as we were lost in Lyon trying to buy our tea- yerba. They wander the streets attending to requests of help, like a neighbour’s dispute. Paid by non for profit organisations, they support the community. Excellent idea!

“I left North England on my 65 birthday, just 3 months ago...lost already 20 kilos...I am tired now and heading back home”. What do you miss the most?” My grandchild!”... a highlight of your trip?” being invited to a spontaneous BBQ with flamenco dancers at the beach in Barcelona.  I shared our mandarins and listen attentively to such an interesting journey.





“I come here for love, almost 20 years ago”, this cheeky malaguena said to me- and why are you still here? Still in love? “Yes, I knew when I met him that he was the man of my life”. Pretty romantic!




A very interesting combination- French and Colombian- these two are making the cross culture relationship work! Met them before our walk and we got talking. We loved the chat so much that decided to come back for more. Lemonades running, they told us their story and their dreams. She said something that resonate with me so much as I have heard the same over and over as I met “migrants”....she said “ I can’t have girlfriends here.....”. This is a theme that is being a constant in women who migrate. Nikki- the Jamaican English girl- leaving in Pezenas- said the same. Ali and I discussed this idea one night also in her home. We think that what w/them talk is about belonging, including belonging on someone else’s eyes.....need to reflect more on this

No comments: