Wednesday, March 12, 2014

After a glorious night on the river, we took the car and drove back to Fort Kochi. We found out that today was the last day of the annual festival where the gods come out of the temple to visit the people of the village. Three elephants were standing in front of the temple where the local band was playing and dancing. The music was loud and energetic, I loved it!

An unexpected turn landed us in a nearby island and in the middle of another festival. I was taken by the colours and the very exquisite choreography that the band was performing. But something else caught my eyes. Older men were hurrying and pushing younger men to line up. Inside a big circle, while the shouting and loud signing was taking place and the frenzy and hot weather was very much part of the party, a long metal stick was being passed through the young men's tongues connecting them to each other. Once united, they danced all the way throughout the streets. It was very difficult to watch. Two blocks away I could see a modern apartment building. Strange world we live in!.

the yellow balls are lemos!

4 comments:

EDUARDO said...

Your journey is becoming my journey. I am fascinated at how you began, where you are going and where this true life story will go.
Keep safe! Jan x

Graci & Hecti said...

I like to feel that we are not alone in this journey...see you very very soon!

Daiana said...

Wow! That looks crazy! How did they dance all together?? Dad I don't know if your dancing techniques would have held up..

Graci & Hecti said...

If papi was one of those guys, I can tell you the whole line would have been in trouble!!! hahahahah